Roadmap of California Medical Leaves - Ultimate Guide to PDL, FMLA, FEHA, SDI, CFRA, PFL, ADA and Workers Compensation and Handling Performance Management Challenges: One and a Half Day In-Person Seminar
Beth Brascugli De Lima,
SPHR-CA, CEO, Principal Consultant at HRM Consulting, Inc.
Courtyard Los Angeles LAX, CA
Thursday, April 3, 2014 | Friday, April 4, 2014
San Jose, CA
Thursday, May 22, 2014 | Friday, May 23, 2014
This comprehensive interactive training workshop will help clarify California specific leaves, how they interact with the Federal medical leaves and how to apply leaves accurately and consistently. The first day will focus specifically on the latter while a full ½ day will be focused on how to handle performance management issues when managing employees on Intermittent or Ongoing Medical Leaves.
Why You Should Attend:
This interactive training workshop will provide you real life strategies from an in-the-trenches medical leave management and HR Expert Witness. You will learn best practices for controlling medical absences and understand when and how you can have the confidence to terminate employees who have violated company policy or are not meeting performance expectations in the midst of their medical accommodations.
The seminar will focus on how California leaves such as FEHA and CFRA interact with Federal medical leaves, such as the FMLA and ADA. Learn which leaves can run concurrently, how to make the transition from one leave to the next and what you need to document to protect yourself and your organization.
Drawing from real life scenarios, this workshop will allow you to confidently cure medical certificates, ask for second opinions, and terminate with confidence in cases of poor performance and failure to respond. This workshop will provide you with exposure to detailed documentation processes that can easily take you through your Medical Leave travels in California and explicitly document your activities in confidence.
You’ll discover that when you clearly document the entire process in a consistent and meticulous manner, you can protect your organization from potential litigation should the need to terminate arise. Having strong policies and procedures consistently applied; clear and well written letters, forms, and documentation; as well as integrated leave policies allows HR to consistently and confidently counsel employees while simultaneously reducing risk of litigation.
If you are looking for answer of these questions, you would certainly benefit by attending this seminar:
- Do you feel lost when it comes to employees who are out on medical leaves?
- Are you not sure which leaves apply to your employees and how?
- Do you have employees who abuse medical leaves because your policies are not clear?
- Do you confidently know how to require employees to cure incomplete medical certificates or when to get second opinions?
- Do you know when you can deny leave?
- Are you comfortable with the risks associated with terminating an employee for abuse of leave?
- Do you refrain from terminating underperforming employees who have been (or are on) FMLA/ADA leave because you are concerned about staying in compliance with all of the laws and regulations that apply to employee termination?
- Or maybe you’ve felt it’s just too hard to find the time to stay on top of these leaves and control the absences!
- Overview of CA Specific leave laws – PDL, CFRA, FMLA, ADA, FEHA and PFL.
- Explanation of their interaction with Federal leave laws – FMLA, ADA and Workers’ Compensation.
- How to apply leaves that run concurrently.
- How to document the transition from one leave type to the next.
- Specific rights you have as an employer to deny leave for employees who use more leave than the certificate allows.
- Method for curing medical certificate or getting second and third opinions.
- Simple strategies to manage the medical leaves in a consistent manner to avoid expensive litigation and preserve the employer-employee relationship.
- Integrating you own company’s leave policies and union contracts or MOU’s with state and federal regulations and how vacation, sick and PTO can be utilized concurrently.
- Gain the confidence to deny leave and terminate the employee if they do not comply with your medical certification requests.
- Exposure to the various forms, letters and documentation that Ms. De Lima has perfected over 20 years of consulting in the ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation arena.
- Guidance from an in-the-trenches HR Expert Witness on how to maintain pristine documentation in an efficient and effective way to avoid costly litigation.
- Understand specific situations that allow you to terminate employees for performance management issued even if protected by state or federal ADA, FMLA and Workers’ Compensation regulations.
- Take home suggestions on how to integrate your leave policies to assure you are maximizing leave time that can run concurrently for your employees.
- Obtain money saving strategies that help HR show a positive impact on the bottom line.
- Real life scenarios designed for you to walk away with the skills and tools needed to immediately apply the strategies presented so you can start controlling the Medical Absence in your own workplace.
Who will Benefit:
Following positions / companies located in California or with Employees in California:
- Companies, non-profits, school districts, governmental agencies and pseudo governmental agencies
- Human Resource Managers
- Risk Managers
- Benefit Specialists
- Business Owners
- General Managers
- Controllers/ CFOs / Financial Managers
|Day One(8:30 AM - 4:30 PM)
|8:30 AM - 9:00 AM
|9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
|PDL/FMLA/SDI/FEHA & CFRA/PFL/SDI & Workers’ Compensation: Putting it all together, Integrated Policies, Transition from FMLA/PDL to CFRA, Implications of FEHA (CA ADA Accommodations) SDI, PFL & Workers’ Compensation Claims.
|10:00 AM - 10:15 AM
|10:15 AM - 11:30 AM
Topic 1 Con’t
|Topic 1 Con’t.
|11:30 AM - 11:45 AM
|11:45 AM - 12:45 PM
|Integration of FMLA/CFRA (and Workers’ Compensation) with your own Company’s policies benefits and contracts. Controlling Medical Absences, Curing Medical Certificates, Second Opinions, Challenges with Intermittent Leaves, Integrated Policy Development.
|12:45 PM - 1:45 PM
|1:45 PM - 2:00 PM
||Everyone getting seated
|2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Topic 2 Con’t
|Topic 2 Con’t
|3:00 PM - 3:15 PM
|3:15 PM - 4:15 PM
|Integration of ADA/FEHA (and Workers’ Compensation) with your own Company’s policies benefits and contracts. Controlling Medical Absences, Undue Hardship Analysis/Research, Essential Functions Assessment, Curing Medical Certifications, Second Opinions and Policy and Procedure Modifications, Integrated Policy Development.
|4:15 PM - 4:30 PM
|Day Two(8:30 AM - 1:15 PM)
|8:30 AM - 10:30 AM
|The Transition from FMLA/CFRA to ADA/FEHA transition and ADA/FEHA to Workers’ Compensation Inactive Status (when you can no longer reasonably accommodate): Integrated Policy Development.
|10:30 AM - 10:45 AM
|| 15 Min
|10:45 AM - 11:45 AM
|Strategies for Implementing your Performance Management System under the ADA, FEHA, FMLA, CFRA, PDL and Workers’ Compensation: Counseling Forms, Warnings and How and When to Implement and/or Terminate.
|11:45 AM - 12:45 PM
|Controlling Medical Absences: Best Practices To Save Money and Reduce Your Stress.
|12:45 PM - 1:15 PM
|Individually Submitted Scenarios, Question & Answer Session
Meet Your Instructor
||Beth Brascugli De Lima
SPHR-CA, CEO, Principal Consultant at HRM Consulting, Inc.
Beth Brascugli De Lima, M.B.A., SPHR-CA, is founder, president, and principal of HRM Consulting, Inc., a California-based human resource consulting firm. Ms. De Lima provides corporate consulting on a national basis regarding employment regulation, compliance and vocational rehabilitation. Her organization has assisted corporate, not-for-profit, school districts, and governmental clients with Human Resource policy development and implementation since 1992 on a national, statewide, and local level.
Ms. De Lima has extensive experience in all areas of employment litigation including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and Workers’ Compensation and is a recognized expert regarding Medical Leave Management employment law compliance. Ms. De Lima provides expert testimony for both the Plaintiff and Defense regarding Human Resource Best Practices and Standards of Care. Her focus is to assist organizations with mitigating potential liability by offering consulting services, mediation, and interactive training to organizations, not-for-profits, government and pseudo government entities, attorneys, and school districts.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "Roadmap of California Medical Leaves - Ultimate Guide to PDL, FMLA, FEHA, SDI, CFRA, PFL, ADA and Workers Compensation and Handling Performance Management Challenges: One and a Half Day In-Person Seminar"
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company). and mailed to:
2600 E. Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send Your Team for Maximum Benefit
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call Toll Free +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer: Please call us at Toll Free +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your Registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment is required before 2 days of the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. ( our parent company)
Cancellations and Substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $75 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days from the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($75) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and Documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant before 5 working days from the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to use these photos and videos by ComplianceOnline for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline for any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo
2000 East Mariposa Avenue
El Segundo, California, 90245, USA
April 3-4, 2014
Special Offer for the attendees of this seminar:
Hotel rooms available at only USD 149 per night.
Log on to avail this offer.
You must book by 14th March 2014 to receive the group rate
Please note: Hotel rooms are limited and based on availability
How to Reach
General Driving Directions:
Driving Directions from Los Angeles International Airport – LAX: 1.5 mile(s) S
- Take Sepulveda Boulevard south approximately one mile to Mariposa Ave.
- Make a left onto Mariposa. The hotel is located one block on the right at the corner of Mariposa and Continental
Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/ El Segundo offers complimentary shuttle service to and from LAX until 11pm. Advance reservations are required. Call (310) 322-0700 for details.
Driving Directions from Long Beach Airport – LGB: 15 mile(s) S
- Exit airport and follow Lakewood Blvd. south to the San Diego Freeway (405 Freeway).
- Take the freeway northbound and exit El Segundo Blvd. (approximately 15 miles).
- At end of ramp, make a left (going westbound on El Segundo Blvd.).
- At Continental Blvd. make a right. Courtyard is two blocks on the right at the corner of Continental and Mariposa Ave
Driving Directions from John Wayne Airport-Orange County – SNA: 35 mile(s) N
- Exit airport on McCarthur Blvd. and follow signs for 405 north. (San Diego Freeway)
- Take the freeway northbound for approximately 35 miles, and exit El Segundo Blvd.
- At end of the ramp, make a left going westbound on El Segundo Blvd.
- Make a right at Continental Blvd. Courtyard is two blocks on the right at the corner of Continental and Mariposa Ave
- Mariposa Station on the Green Line: 0.1 mile(s) E
- Union Station: 15 mile(s) NE
Disclaimer: Directions to the venue above have been taken from the hotel website. Attendees are advised to check with the hotel for confirmation of these directions before starting for the venue. ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any inaccuracies in the same.
San Jose, CA (Venue to be announced shortly)
May 22-23, 2014
What past attendees say
It was a great conference.
- Human Resources Generalist, Freedom Financial Network, LLC-
Seminar was good with lots of information to learn and understand. Scenarios were very good and useful. The ad hoc discussions and QA session was the highly effective and informative. Instructor Beth Brascugli De Lima is knowledgeable and approachable.
- Human Resources, Fluidigm Corporation
The basics were very useful.
- Total Rewards Consultant (Interim Sr. Mgr., Comp & Benefits), Fluidigm Corporation
Seminar was excellent and engaging. Subject matter was very useful and informative.
- Director of Human Resources, Kronick Moskovitz Tiedemann & Girard
Instructor was great and very knowledgeable.
- Human Resources Specialist, ZS Associates, Inc.
Beth was great speaker and wealth of knowledge and highly valued her insight. She is very friendly and approachable. I would like to attend her Future trainings in San Diego. ComplianceOnline is providing pertinent information about CA leaves.
- Regional Director of Human Resources, Five Star Quality Care
Training was highly informative and I was able to learn a lot from other participants as well.
- Human resources administrator, Design Veronique
It was an excellent session with great topics.
- Director, Human Resources
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: email@example.com
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media Partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner to do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the Media Partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the Magazine and/or Website.
- Dedicated email blast to all subscribers of Media Partner.
- Article on the Magazine and/or Website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Ben Hobbs: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: (650) 620-2941
Los Angeles, CA, Local Attractions
San Jose, CA, Local Attractions
Griffith Observatory is an icon of Los Angeles, a national leader in public astronomy, a beloved civic gathering place, and one of southern California's most popular attractions. The Observatory is located on the southern slope of Mount Hollywood in Griffith Park, just above the Los Feliz neighborhood. It is 1,134 feet above sea level and is visible from many parts of the Los Angeles basin.
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios Hollywood is a movie studio and theme park in the Los Angeles County, California, United States. It is one of the oldest and most famous Hollywood movie studios still in use. Its official marketing headline is "The Entertainment Capital of LA", though during the summer it is often advertised as "The Coolest Place in LA. It is the first of many full-fledged Universal Studios Theme Parks located across the world.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) is the largest art museum in the western United States. It attracts nearly a million visitors annually. Its holdings of more than 100,000 works span the history of art from ancient times to the present. In addition to art exhibits, the museum features film and concert series.
Beverly Center Shopping Mall is a large indoor shopping center located near Beverly Hills. Beverly Center is Southern California's premier fashion destination with over 100 distinctive specialty boutiques reflecting the diverse styles and tastes of Los Angeles. The Center is anchored by Bloomingdale’s, Macy’s and the upscale dining destination, The Capital Grille.
Venice Beach is a seaside neighborhood of Los Angeles. Named for its series of canals, Venice is known as a haven for creative types. It is famous for its bohemian boardwalk and for the eclectic Abbot Kinney Blvd. Venice Beach include the beach, the promenade that runs parallel to the beach (“Ocean Front Walk” or just “the boardwalk”), Muscle Beach, the handball courts, the paddle tennis courts, Skate Dancing plaza, the numerous beach volleyball courts, the bike trail and the businesses and residences that have their addresses on Ocean Front Walk.
Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens
The Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens is located in Los Angeles Griffith Park. The Zoo is home to more than 1,100 mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles representing more than 250 different species of which 29 are endangered. In addition, the Zoo’s botanical collection comprises several planted gardens and over 800 different plant species with over 7,400 individual plants. The Zoo receives over 1.5 million visitors per year.
Bowlmor Lanes Cupertino
Located in the heart of Cupertino, Bowlmor Lanes Cupertino is a hip attraction where crowds can get more than the average night out. Bowlmor Lanes Cupertino features 32 lanes of glow-in-the-dark bowling, video screens on the walls, a top-notch sound system, a full sports bar and a billiards room. There is also a restaurant that serves up tasty fare lane-side so hungry guests don't have to abandon their game.
Campbell Historical Museum
The Campbell Historical Museum and Ainsley House may have been procured from the city of San Jose by Campbell, but this adorable English Tudor is still the perfect visiting stop for anyone in the county looking for a plush little getaway from modern times. The iconic English Tudor is elegantly restored and filled with many of the Ainsley's original furnishings (the couple built the house in 1925 to resemble the cottages of their native Britain). Bring a folding chair and a picnic basket for a series of free outdoor concerts every Thursday evening. Just because the setting is classic doesn't mean you can't engage in some modern fun.
Campo di Bocce
Just outside of the San Jose city limits, Campo di Bocce is a unique venue that remains a favorite San Jose attraction. With a full restaurant offering delicious Italian cuisine, a bar doling out everything from sodas to cocktails, and several bocce courts where everyone from family to friends to co-workers can try their hand at bocce ball and engage in light competition or just a fun and casual game.
Children's Discovery Museum
Serving the needs of children, families, and schools as a center for learning and discovery, this museum in downtown San Jose features interactive hands-on exhibits, programs, puzzles, games, classes and much more.
Imagine driving a luxury or exotic car without the pressures and expenses of ownership and maintenance. Club Sportiva is the most established luxury car time-share in the nation, with memberships that put drivers behind the wheel of the world's finest cars a few days each month. Members also enjoy benefits like social events, dinners, road rallies and other exclusive VIP services. Limited-production Ferraris and Lamborghinis and electric Tesla Roadsters are available now.
Deep Cliff Golf Course
Although San Jose is home to many attractions, few boast the natural beauty and scenic views of Deep Cliff golf club. San Jose visitors and locals alike enjoy playing this 18-hole par 60 course. Deep Cliff also offers golf lessons, a driving range, cafe and space for corporate events and private parties. This San Jose attraction is a welcomed escape from busy city life, allowing golf enthusiasts and beginners a lush place to hit the links.