Roadmap of California Medical Leaves - Ultimate Guide to PDL, FMLA, FEHA, SDI, CFRA, PFL, ADA and Workers Compensation and Handling Performance Management Challenges: One and a Half Day In-Person Seminar
Beth Brascugli De Lima,
SPHR-CA, CEO, Principal Consultant at HRM Consulting, Inc.
Thursday, September 11, 2014 | Friday, September 12, 2014
Thursday, October 23, 2014 | Friday, October 24, 2014
|Course "Roadmap of California Medical Leaves - Ultimate Guide to PDL, FMLA, FEHA, SDI, CFRA, PFL, ADA and Workers Compensation and Handling Performance Management Challenges" has been pre-approved by HRCI as eligible for 10 credits towards a participant's recertification upon full completion.
“The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program”.
This comprehensive interactive training workshop will help clarify California specific leaves, how they interact with the Federal medical leaves and how to apply leaves accurately and consistently. The first day will focus specifically on the latter while a full ½ day will be focused on how to handle performance management issues when managing employees on Intermittent or Ongoing Medical Leaves.
Why You Should Attend:
This interactive training workshop will provide you real life strategies from an in-the-trenches medical leave management and HR Expert Witness. You will learn best practices for controlling medical absences and understand when and how you can have the confidence to terminate employees who have violated company policy or are not meeting performance expectations in the midst of their medical accommodations.
The seminar will focus on how California leaves such as FEHA and CFRA interact with Federal medical leaves, such as the FMLA and ADA. Learn which leaves can run concurrently, how to make the transition from one leave to the next and what you need to document to protect yourself and your organization.
Drawing from real life scenarios, this workshop will allow you to confidently cure medical certificates, ask for second opinions, and terminate with confidence in cases of poor performance and failure to respond. This workshop will provide you with exposure to detailed documentation processes that can easily take you through your Medical Leave travels in California and explicitly document your activities in confidence.
You’ll discover that when you clearly document the entire process in a consistent and meticulous manner, you can protect your organization from potential litigation should the need to terminate arise. Having strong policies and procedures consistently applied; clear and well written letters, forms, and documentation; as well as integrated leave policies allows HR to consistently and confidently counsel employees while simultaneously reducing risk of litigation.
If you are looking for answer of these questions, you would certainly benefit by attending this seminar:
- Do you feel lost when it comes to employees who are out on medical leaves?
- Are you not sure which leaves apply to your employees and how?
- Do you have employees who abuse medical leaves because your policies are not clear?
- Do you confidently know how to require employees to cure incomplete medical certificates or when to get second opinions?
- Do you know when you can deny leave?
- Are you comfortable with the risks associated with terminating an employee for abuse of leave?
- Do you refrain from terminating underperforming employees who have been (or are on) FMLA/ADA leave because you are concerned about staying in compliance with all of the laws and regulations that apply to employee termination?
- Or maybe you’ve felt it’s just too hard to find the time to stay on top of these leaves and control the absences!
- Overview of CA Specific leave laws – PDL, CFRA, FMLA, ADA, FEHA and PFL.
- Explanation of their interaction with Federal leave laws – FMLA, ADA and Workers’ Compensation.
- How to apply leaves that run concurrently.
- How to document the transition from one leave type to the next.
- Specific rights you have as an employer to deny leave for employees who use more leave than the certificate allows.
- Method for curing medical certificate or getting second and third opinions.
- Simple strategies to manage the medical leaves in a consistent manner to avoid expensive litigation and preserve the employer-employee relationship.
- Integrating you own company’s leave policies and union contracts or MOU’s with state and federal regulations and how vacation, sick and PTO can be utilized concurrently.
- Gain the confidence to deny leave and terminate the employee if they do not comply with your medical certification requests.
- Exposure to the various forms, letters and documentation that Ms. De Lima has perfected over 20 years of consulting in the ADA, FMLA, and Workers’ Compensation arena.
- Guidance from an in-the-trenches HR Expert Witness on how to maintain pristine documentation in an efficient and effective way to avoid costly litigation.
- Understand specific situations that allow you to terminate employees for performance management issued even if protected by state or federal ADA, FMLA and Workers’ Compensation regulations.
- Take home suggestions on how to integrate your leave policies to assure you are maximizing leave time that can run concurrently for your employees.
- Obtain money saving strategies that help HR show a positive impact on the bottom line.
- Real life scenarios designed for you to walk away with the skills and tools needed to immediately apply the strategies presented so you can start controlling the Medical Absence in your own workplace.
Who will Benefit:
Following positions / companies located in California or with Employees in California:
- Companies, non-profits, school districts, governmental agencies and pseudo governmental agencies
- Human Resource Managers
- Risk Managers
- Benefit Specialists
- Business Owners
- General Managers
- Controllers/ CFOs / Financial Managers
|Day One (8:30 AM - 4:30 PM)
|8:30 AM - 9:00 AM
|9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
|PDL/FMLA/SDI/FEHA & CFRA/PFL/SDI & Workers’ Compensation: Putting it all together, Integrated Policies, Transition from FMLA/PDL to CFRA, Implications of FEHA (CA ADA Accommodations) SDI, PFL & Workers’ Compensation Claims.
|10:00 AM - 10:15 AM
|10:15 AM - 11:30 AM
Topic 1 Con’t
|Topic 1 Con’t.
|11:30 AM - 11:45 AM
|11:45 AM - 12:45 PM
|Integration of FMLA/CFRA (and Workers’ Compensation) with your own Company’s policies benefits and contracts. Controlling Medical Absences, Curing Medical Certificates, Second Opinions, Challenges with Intermittent Leaves, Integrated Policy Development.
|12:45 PM - 1:45 PM
|1:45 PM - 2:00 PM
||Everyone getting seated
|2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Topic 2 Con’t
|Topic 2 Con’t
|3:00 PM - 3:15 PM
|3:15 PM - 4:15 PM
|Integration of ADA/FEHA (and Workers’ Compensation) with your own Company’s policies benefits and contracts. Controlling Medical Absences, Undue Hardship Analysis/Research, Essential Functions Assessment, Curing Medical Certifications, Second Opinions and Policy and Procedure Modifications, Integrated Policy Development.
|4:15 PM - 4:30 PM
|Day Two (9:00 AM - 12:30 PM)
|9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
|The Transition from FMLA/CFRA to ADA/FEHA transition and ADA/FEHA to Workers’ Compensation Inactive Status (when you can no longer reasonably accommodate): Integrated Policy Development.
|10:30 AM - 10:45 AM
|| 15 Min
|10:45 AM - 11:45 AM
|Strategies for Implementing your Performance Management System under the ADA, FEHA, FMLA, CFRA, PDL and Workers’ Compensation: Counseling Forms, Warnings and How and When to Implement and/or Terminate.
|11:45 AM - 12:30 PM
|Controlling Medical Absences: Best Practices To Save Money and Reduce Your Stress.
Meet Your Instructor
||Beth Brascugli De Lima
SPHR-CA, CEO, Principal Consultant at HRM Consulting, Inc.
Beth Brascugli De Lima, M.B.A., SPHR-CA, is founder, president, and principal of HRM Consulting, Inc., a California-based human resource consulting firm. Ms. De Lima provides corporate consulting on a national basis regarding employment regulation, compliance and vocational rehabilitation. Her organization has assisted corporate, not-for-profit, school districts, and governmental clients with Human Resource policy development and implementation since 1992 on a national, statewide, and local level.
Ms. De Lima has extensive experience in all areas of employment litigation including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and Workers’ Compensation and is a recognized expert regarding Medical Leave Management employment law compliance. Ms. De Lima provides expert testimony for both the Plaintiff and Defense regarding Human Resource Best Practices and Standards of Care. Her focus is to assist organizations with mitigating potential liability by offering consulting services, mediation, and interactive training to organizations, not-for-profits, government and pseudo government entities, attorneys, and school districts.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "Roadmap of California Medical Leaves - Ultimate Guide to PDL, FMLA, FEHA, SDI, CFRA, PFL, ADA and Workers Compensation and Handling Performance Management Challenges: One and a Half Day In-Person Seminar"
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company). and mailed to:
2600 E. Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send Your Team for Maximum Benefit
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call Toll Free +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer: Please call us at Toll Free +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your Registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ email@example.com
Payment is required before 2 days of the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. ( our parent company)
Cancellations and Substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $75 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days from the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($75) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and Documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant before 5 working days from the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to use these photos and videos by ComplianceOnline for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline for any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
Oakland, CA(Venue to be announced shortly)
September 11-12, 2014
Sacramento, CA (Venue to be announced shortly)
October 23-24, 2014
What past attendees say
It was a great conference.
- Human Resources Generalist, Freedom Financial Network, LLC-
Seminar was good with lots of information to learn and understand. Scenarios were very good and useful. The ad hoc discussions and QA session was the highly effective and informative. Instructor Beth Brascugli De Lima is knowledgeable and approachable.
- Human Resources, Fluidigm Corporation
The basics were very useful.
- Total Rewards Consultant (Interim Sr. Mgr., Comp & Benefits), Fluidigm Corporation
Seminar was excellent and engaging. Subject matter was very useful and informative.
- Director of Human Resources, Kronick Moskovitz Tiedemann & Girard
Instructor was great and very knowledgeable.
- Human Resources Specialist, ZS Associates, Inc.
Beth was great speaker and wealth of knowledge and highly valued her insight. She is very friendly and approachable. I would like to attend her Future trainings in San Diego. ComplianceOnline is providing pertinent information about CA leaves.
- Regional Director of Human Resources, Five Star Quality Care
Training was highly informative and I was able to learn a lot from other participants as well.
- Human resources administrator, Design Veronique
It was an excellent session with great topics.
- Director, Human Resources
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media Partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner to do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the Media Partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the Magazine and/or Website.
- Dedicated email blast to all subscribers of Media Partner.
- Article on the Magazine and/or Website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Ben Hobbs: email@example.com
call us: (650) 620-2941
Jack London Square
Jack London Square is a popular entertainment and business destination on the waterfront of Oakland, California. Named after the author Jack London and owned by the Port of Oakland, it is the home of stores, restaurants, hotels, an Amtrak station, a San Francisco Bay Ferry ferry dock, the historic Heinold’s First and Last Chance Saloon, the (re-located) cabin Jack London lived in the Klondike, and a movie theater.
Lake Merritt Park
The lake features grassy shores; several artificial islands intended as bird refuges; an interpretive center called the Rotary Nature Center; a boating center where sailboats, canoes and rowboats can be rented and classes are held; and a fairy tale themed amusement park called Children's Fairyland. The park is also a center for sporting activities, including sailing, canoeing, and jogging along the lakeshore.
In the vast hills outside town, this award-winning Oakland Zoo, features more than 300 types of animals living in carefully-recreated natural habitats, easily making it one of the premier Oakland attractions. The African savannah exhibit is particularly popular, with African plants and a waterfall providing a home for meerkats, monkeys, and hyenas.
Oakland Museum of California
The Oakland Museum of California or OMCA (formerly the Oakland Museum) is an interdisciplinary museum dedicated to the art, history, and natural science of California, located in Oakland, California. The museum contains more than 1.8 million objects dedicated to "telling the extraordinary story of California.
Robert Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve
Volcanic debris has formed vast mountains in this Oakland park, which covers 660 acres in the Oakland Hills. One of the most famous peaks is Round Top, which is made up of lava and other materials from a volcano said to be 10 million years old.
The Paramount Theatre is a 3,040 seat Art Deco movie theater located at 2025 Broadway in downtown Oakland, California, USA. When it was built in 1931, it was the largest multi-purpose theater on the West Coast, seating 3476. Today, the Paramount is the home of the Oakland East Bay Symphony and the Oakland Ballet, it regularly plays host to R&B, jazz, blues, pop, rock, gospel, classical music, as well as ballets, plays, stand-up comedy, lecture series, special events, and screenings of classic movies from Hollywood's Golden Era.
Cathedral of Christ the Light
The Cathedral of Christ the Light, also called Oakland Cathedral, is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Oakland in Oakland, California. It is the seat of the Bishop of Oakland. Christ the Light, the first cathedral built in the 21st century, replaces the Cathedral of Saint Francis de Sales, irreparably damaged in the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989.