Excel Spreadsheet Workshop
Dennis Taylor, Principal at Taylor Associates
Coming soon.. Please contact customer care for new schedule
Excel is the world's most popular and powerful spreadsheet program – an absolutely indispensable tool for office professionals. Excel is usually described as a spreadsheet software package, and that it surely is, but it encompasses a lot more than just features for handling financial data. This seminar gives you the essential tools to work efficiently with this powerful program and provides numerous shortcuts throughout the two days so that you can become proficient and confident as you explore the many commands and features of Excel.
Although this is not a seminar for those just getting started in Excel, there will be frequent reminders of basic concepts and those “good practices” that all Excel users should follow as they navigate through multiple worksheets and workbooks, handle data entry chores, add formatting features, and work with a variety of formulas and functions.
This seminar uses a variety of real-life examples to illustrate common challenges faced as you deal with data layout concerns, manipulating data via sorting and filtering techniques and managing that data as efficiently as possible. A central theme is the idea that Excel has the tools to let you prepare, analyze, and manage data (even large, seemingly unwieldy amounts) to provide clarity and those key performance indicators used to evaluate factors crucial to the success of any organization. An invaluable tool in this endeavor is the ease with which you can represent data as a colorful chart or as sparklines (in-cell charts) that immediately provide the “big picture” not always obvious when just viewing numbers. For analyzing data you’ll need to become familiar with inserting automatic subtotals, converting data into tables for more coherent usage, and using Excel’s most powerful analytical and summarizing tool – PivotTables. A large portion of this seminar deals with using formulas and functions, including the IF function and table-handling functions – VLOOKUP, MATCH, and INDEX, as well as Array formulas for specialized analysis. Other analytical tools covered in this seminar include the what-if features Goal Seek, Solver, and Scenario Manager. And when it comes time to confront those repetitive tasks that have become routine and possibly drudgery, you can use Excel’s macro recording techniques to automate those everyday jobs by way of a keystroke shortcut or an on-screen button.
A goal of this seminar is not only to expand your knowledge of Excel’s tools and features, but also to accelerate your proficiency as you work with it – dozens of keystroke shortcuts and other tips scattered throughout this two-day seminar help meet that goal.
Seminar Fee Includes:
USB with seminar presentation
Hard copy of presentation
$100 Gift Cert for next seminar
- Master navigation and data entry shortcuts for maximum productivity
- Work efficiently with formulas; use critical functions like IF and VLOOKUP
- Master the tools needed to manage large lists – data management features like sorting ad filtering
- Analyze voluminous data with powerful PivotTables
- Automate repetitive tasks with Macros
- Essential shortcuts and tips
- Creating Charts and using other visual features
- Creating formulas and functions
- Formula auditing tools
- Mastering AutoSum and 3-D formulas
- Using the powerful IF and VLOOKUP functions
- Creating powerful summaries and analysis with PivotTables
- Sorting, filtering, subtotals, and other critical data management tools
- Analyzing data with Goal Seek and Solver
- Creating and running macros
Who will Benefit:
All professionals who want exposure to many of the tools and features available in Microsoft Excel – the most important and widely used software in offices throughout the world.
|Day 1 (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
||Day 2 (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
- 8:30 – 9:00 AM: Registration
- 9:00 AM: Session Start Time
- Tips and Shortcuts
- Shortcuts for efficiently navigating between and across multiple worksheets and workbooks
- Shortcuts to accelerate data entry and create date/time series; AutoFill techniques
- Dozens of keystroke shortcuts to accelerate your daily use of Excel
- Copy, move, and Insert data with mouse and keystroke shortcuts
- Keystroke shortcuts for Currency, Date, Time, General, Percent, or Scientific Formatting
- Introduce line breaks where you want them; create double-spaced printouts
- Morning Break
- Charts and Graphical Features
- Create charts, change the chart type, set up charts
- Move, copy, re-size and delete charts
- Formatting options; reformat legends, gridlines, axes and backgrounds
- Add labels, error bars and trendlines
- Use Sparklines (in-cell charts) for quick visual data displays
- Expanded conditional formatting capability
- An overview of SmartArt features
- Lunch Break
- Formulas and Functions
- Understanding Excel calculation rules
- Auditing tools and tips
- Displaying all worksheet formulas; locating formula cells
- Identifying dependent cells and tracing formula origins (precedent cells)
- Using AutoSum; creating 3-D formulas to summarize data from multiple sheets
- Adjusting cell values without formulas
- Formula tips and shortcuts
- Relative, absolute, and mixed cell references in formulas
- Using the powerful IF function; expanding with the AND and OR functions
- Afternoon Break
- Formulas and Functions
- Using VLOOKUP - Excel's most important function?
- Other lookup functions - MATCH and INDEX
- Powerful tabulation functions - COUNTIF, SUMIF, AVERAGEIF and more
- Using the AGGREGATE function to circumvent errors and hidden data
- More Formulas and Functions
- Array formulas and functions
- Complex lookups using Array formulas and VLOOKUP
- Selected Financial, Date/Time, Statistical and Mathematical Functions
- Data Management Tools
- Data Validation - control data input; set up pick lists
- Convert list-type data to Tables for enhanced formatting
- Morning Break
- Sorting - by column, by row, by color, based on a list, in random order
- Inserting automatic subtotals
- Using Filter, Advanced Filter, and Slicers
- Re-organizing data with the Text to Columns Feature and Flash Fill
- Pivot Tables
- Create a PivotTable; restructure PivotTables
- Use Drill-Down to see details underlying a PivotTable value
- Use Slicers (interactive filtering) for rapid display changes
- Quickly view summaries by year, quarter, month, day, or hour
- Create a PivotTable summarizing data from multiple worksheets
- Afternoon Break
- Why use a macro?
- Steps to record a short macro; different ways to run a macro
- Visual Basic for Applications - what you need to know
- Using the step method to test a macro; using IF logic
- What-If Tools
- Goal Seek
- Scenario Manager
- Other Topics
- Protection schemes - for worksheets and workbooks
- Use the Outlining feature to collapse and expand displays
Meet Your Instructor
Principal at Taylor Associates
Dennis Taylor has taught thousands of Excel seminars and classes since the early 90’s and is the author/presenter of over 500 Excel webinars. He was the author of the book Teach Yourself Microsoft Excel 2000 and co-authored five other books on spreadsheet software. He has taught hundreds of public Excel seminars in the US and Canada since 2006 and has recorded over 100 Excel courses both for online and DVD distribution.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "Excel Spreadsheet Workshop".
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company) and mailed to:
2479 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send your team for maximum benefit.
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call toll free on +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please call us toll free on +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to Register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ email@example.com
Payment is required 2 days before the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company).
Cancellations and substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $100 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days before the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($100) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite, payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available, we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee, an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant 5 working days before the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference, you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to ComplianceOnline using these photos and videos for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline from any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner To Do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the media partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the magazine and/or website.
- Dedicated email blast to media partner’s subscribers.
- Article on the magazine and/or website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Cruise Webster: email@example.com
call us: (207) 576-4173
Griffith Observatory is an icon of Los Angeles, a national leader in public astronomy, a beloved civic gathering place, and one of southern California's most popular attractions. The Observatory is located on the southern slope of Mount Hollywood in Griffith Park, just above the Los Feliz neighborhood. It is 1,134 feet above sea level and is visible from many parts of the Los Angeles basin.
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios Hollywood is a movie studio and theme park in the Los Angeles County, California, United States. It is one of the oldest and most famous Hollywood movie studios still in use. Its official marketing headline is "The Entertainment Capital of LA", though during the summer it is often advertised as "The Coolest Place in LA. It is the first of many full-fledged Universal Studios Theme Parks located across the world.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) is the largest art museum in the western United States. It attracts nearly a million visitors annually. Its holdings of more than 100,000 works span the history of art from ancient times to the present. In addition to art exhibits, the museum features film and concert series.
Beverly Center Shopping Mall is a large indoor shopping center located near Beverly Hills. Beverly Center is Southern California's premier fashion destination with over 100 distinctive specialty boutiques reflecting the diverse styles and tastes of Los Angeles. The Center is anchored by Bloomingdale’s, Macy’s and the upscale dining destination, The Capital Grille.
Venice Beach is a seaside neighborhood of Los Angeles. Named for its series of canals, Venice is known as a haven for creative types. It is famous for its bohemian boardwalk and for the eclectic Abbot Kinney Blvd. Venice Beach include the beach, the promenade that runs parallel to the beach (“Ocean Front Walk” or just “the boardwalk”), Muscle Beach, the handball courts, the paddle tennis courts, Skate Dancing plaza, the numerous beach volleyball courts, the bike trail and the businesses and residences that have their addresses on Ocean Front Walk.
Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens
The Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens is located in Los Angeles Griffith Park. The Zoo is home to more than 1,100 mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles representing more than 250 different species of which 29 are endangered. In addition, the Zoo’s botanical collection comprises several planted gardens and over 800 different plant species with over 7,400 individual plants. The Zoo receives over 1.5 million visitors per year.
Staples Center is a multi-purpose sports arena in Los Angeles. It is one of the major sporting facilities in the Greater Los Angeles Area. The arena is home to the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers of the National Basketball Association (NBA), the Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League (NHL), and the Los Angeles Sparks of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA).
The Watts Towers are a complex set of 17 separate sculptural pieces built on a residential lot in the community of Watts. Two of the towers rise to a height of nearly 100 feet. The Watts Towers are one of only nine works of folk art listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The site is one of only four US National Historic Landmarks in the city of Los Angeles.
The Center houses a comprehensive collection of Western art from medieval times to the present, with particular strengths in alchemical texts, Italian futurism, Russian Modernism, Japanese avant-garde art and artists’ letters and sketchbooks throughout the ages. The Center’s campus features numerous garden spaces, fountains and pools as well as outdoor sculptures. The center draws 1.3 million visitors annually.