FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA) - What Supervisors Need to Know
Product ID: 701784
- Duration: 60 Min
In this FLSA training, learn the do’s and don’ts of Fair Labor Standards Act (from exempt to nonexempt, to independent contractor versus employee-employer relationship) and start avoiding the landmines.
Why Should You Attend:
The FLSA is a basic regulation that focuses on many areas – from minimum wage to overtime to rules about exempt and non-exempt classifications to child labour and recordkeeping. This webinar will help you sort out the do’s and don’ts to ensure compliance. Even if you have an HR department to sort out the issues, you, the supervisor, are still responsible for ensuring you are paying employees correctly. And deducting time from time off banks correctly. We will also explore suggested pay policies you may want to consider to help you ensure consistent administration of FLSA rules within the workplace.
- Understand how to determine if a position is Exempt or Non-exempt.
- Understand the difference between hourly-paid and salaried.
- Understand the difference between an employee-employer relationship and an independent contractor relationship.
- Understand the value of pay policies within the work place.
- Learn the ins and outs of deducting pay from exempt staff.
- Understand the difference between compensatory time off and time off in lieu of pay.
- What you can expect if you are audited by the DOL.
Areas Covered in the Seminar:
- Exempt versus Nonexempt Status.
- Hourly versus Salaried Status.
- How to determine FLSA classification of positions.
- Problems with "job creep" and "perception of status”.
- Training time - when you do and don't have to pay employees.
- Employee-employer relationship versus independent contractor status.
- Suggested policies to administer under FLSA.
- Deductions from exempt pay – avoiding the landmines.
- Compensatory time off versus pay in lieu of notice.
Who Will Benefit:
- Human Resource Professionals
- Small business owners
- Companies with minimal HR support
- New HR staff
- Front line supervisors
Kay Robinson, is the Principal of Robinson HR Consulting, LLC. Prior to starting her own consulting practice, she was Director of HR Consulting Services with RSM McGladrey in Wilmington, North Carolina for 14+ years. She has served as a consultant and practitioner in the field of human resources for over 25 years. Prior to joining RSM McGladrey, Kay served as Assistant Vice Chancellor for Human Resources at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. She also served as Associate Director for Human Resources at the University of Rochester/Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York.
Kay has worked extensively with different industries but has specialized over the years with auto dealerships, manufacturing and non-profits. Projects include:
- Employee Handbooks
- Compliance Reviews (personnel records, equity issues, employee relations audits)
- Supervisory Training (interviewing, performance management)
- Safeguards Rule and Training
- Red Flags Rule and Training
- Anti-harassment Training (for employees and supervisors)
- HR Start-up
Kay also conducts training programs for human resource professionals through the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and currently serves as an adjunct faculty member at UNCW in the Cameron School. She is a frequent speaker for groups at SHRM, the NCADA (North Carolina Auto Dealers Association) and the North Carolina Association of CPA’s (NCACPA) and recently won an award for Speaker Excellence through NCACPA.