Advertising and Promotion of Dietary Supplements
Peggy J. Berry, MBA, RAC, President & CEO, Synergy Consulting (Ex-FDA Official)
Coming soon.. Please contact customer care for new schedule
One of the biggest challenges in the dietary supplement industry is handling marketing and advertising. Marketers must build a strong campaign to differentiate their product from their competitors. They seek to find ideas and words to tout the benefits of their product through advertising. However, they must also comply with the laws and requirements for appropriate advertising. Within the US, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), are responsible for enforcing the laws and regulations that dictate the boundaries of what the company can say when selling its products.
Supplement marketers must ensure that anyone involved in promoting products is familiar with basic FTC advertising principles. The FTC has taken action not just against supplement manufacturers, but also, in appropriate circumstances, against ad agencies, distributors, retailers, catalog companies, infomercial producers and others involved in deceptive promotions. Therefore, all parties who participate directly or indirectly in the marketing of dietary supplements have an obligation to make sure that claims are presented in a compliant manner.
On Day 1, you will gain an in-depth understanding of the FDA and FTC requirements for advertising and promotion of dietary supplements. Hands-on activities will allow you to use this understanding to evaluate promotional claims for compliance and discuss ways to turn non-compliant pieces around while still delivering a strong and robust marketing message.
On Day 2, we will discuss the elements of appropriate supportive evidence for making claims. You will gain practical experience by evaluating the supportive evidence behind proposed claims to determine if it is acceptable. Cases of non-compliance and the associated penalties will be reviewed. And, strategies for implementing an effective, internal review and approval process to ensure compliance will be discussed.
After taking this seminar, participants will be able to understand:
- How to develop compliant advertising claims
- Level of support necessary for various types of claims
- How to transform non-compliant claims
- Approaches to implementing a review and approval process for proposed advertising
Seminar Fee Includes:
USB with seminar presentation
Hard copy of presentation
$100 Gift Cert for next seminar
- Understanding the laws and regulations that govern advertising and promotion of dietary supplements
- Learn to transform non-compliant messages into compliant messages
- Hands-on practical experience in evaluating supportive evidence for appropriateness
- Implement programs and strategies to ensure compliance and negative regulatory actions
- FDA and FTC requirements for advertising and promotion
- How to evaluate promotional claims for compliance
- How to turn non-compliant pieces around while still delivering a strong and robust marketing message
- The elements of appropriate supportive evidence for making claims
- How to evaluate the supportive evidence behind proposed claims to determine if it is acceptable
- Review cases of non-compliance for learnings
- How to implement an effective, internal review and approval process
Who will Benefit:
- Regulatory Affairs
- Legal Reviewers
- Advertising agencies who support dietary supplements
- Medical Reviewers
- Management Decision Makers
- Employees involved in the preparation and review of marketing materials
|Day 1 (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
||Day 2 (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
- 8:30-9:00: Registration
- 9:00-10:00: Overview of regulatory structure and the role of each regulatory agency
- 10:00-10:45: Overview of foundational requirements for all advertising
- 10:45-11:00: Break
- 11:00-12:00: In depth review of specific requirements imposed by the FDA
- 12:00-1:00: Lunch
- 1:00-2:30: In depth review of FTC requirements for various claim types (structure/function, health, and nutrient content)
- 2:30-4:30: Review example claims for compliance and discuss transformation of non-compliant claims
- 8:30-9:00: Review of Day 1; Questions from Day 1; Review of Day 2 agenda
- 9:00-9:30: Review the required elements of supportive evidence for making claims
- 9:30-10:00: Examine various types of supportive documents and which claims they can support
- 10:00-10:15: Break
- 10:15-12:00: Evaluate supportive evidence behind specific claims to determine acceptability
- 12:00-1:00: Lunch
- 1:00-2:30: Review actual cases of non-compliance and discuss learnings from these cases
- 2:30-2:45: Break
- 2:45-4:30: Strategies for implementing an effective, internal review and approval process
Meet Your Instructor
||Peggy J. Berry,
MBA, RAC, President & CEO, Synergy Consulting (Ex-FDA Official)
Peggy J. Berry, MBA, RAC, is the President & CEO at Synergy Consulting where she provides consulting services to companies in all aspects of drug development. She also provides group and one-on-one training in drug development, regulatory affairs and project management topics. Prior to founding Synergy Consulting in 2015, she was Vice President of Regulatory Affairs at Insmed (2/2015-5/2015) where she was responsible for the development and implementation of global regulatory strategies and the management and oversight of the regulatory affairs department. Prior to Insmed, she was Vice President of Regulatory Affairs and Quality at Amarin (3/2009-2/2014). She has also held a variety of senior level positions at Dyax (5/2006-3/2009), MGI Pharma (now Eisai; 7/2005-5/2006), AstraZeneca (10/2001-7/2005), and Dey Pharma (now Mylan; 12/1997-10/2001). She has also held Regulatory Affairs roles within two clinical contract research organizations (ILEX Oncology and Cato Research Ltd; 1992-1997) and has worked in review divisions at the FDA (1985-1992). In addition, Ms. Berry consults for a number of companies in the regulatory and quality area, conducts a number of training courses, and is active in the Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society. She is the editor of the 2010 book "Choosing the Right Regulatory Career" (RAPS, MD) and author of the 2011 book "Communication & Negotiation" (RAPS, MD).
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "Advertising and Promotion of Dietary Supplements".
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company) and mailed to:
2479 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send your team for maximum benefit.
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call toll free on +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please call us toll free on +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to Register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment is required 2 days before the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company).
Cancellations and substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $200 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days before the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($200) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite, payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available, we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee, an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant 5 working days before the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference, you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to ComplianceOnline using these photos and videos for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline from any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: email@example.com
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner To Do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the media partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the magazine and/or website.
- Dedicated email blast to media partner’s subscribers.
- Article on the magazine and/or website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Cruise Webster: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: (207) 576-4173
Think Escape Party Bus
San Francisco Bay Area
Board a luxurious Think Escape party bus or limo and be whisked away to San Francisco's hottest nightclubs where VIP treatment brings all party bus guests to the front of the line. Planning the perfect night on the town is easy with Think Escape's fleet of luxury buses and extended vehicles, each with different amenities for socializing and transport. Think Escape's Bay Area party bus rentals include free entry into selected exclusive nightclubs, professional hostess and chauffer, in-vehicle coolers stocked with amenities for a perfect night of partying.
Alcatraz Lunch Cruise
The Alcatraz Lunch Cruise is a luxurious way to get to see some of San Francisco’s favorite sights. A gourmet lunch buffet features options like asiago Caesar salad, bay shrimp salad, roasted chicken, garlic-herb roasted new potatoes and more. While guests enjoy lunch, they can take in views of San Francisco Bay’s flora and fauna, Angel Island and Alcatraz, and a live narration explores the history of Alcatraz. Please note that this tour doesn’t stop on Alcatraz Island.
Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise
A relaxing way to explore the San Francisco Bay is with the Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise. A drink bar and snacks are available for travelers’ enjoyment as they travel under the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcatraz Island and even past a colony of sea lions. This is a peaceful San Francisco cruise option for families, and children under 5 ride for free.
City Kayak, located on San Francisco's Embarcadero close to the San Francisco Giant's ATT Park, offers a great way to experience San Francisco from Bay level, a point of view and a unique experience you'll not soon forget.
Think Escape Casino Tour
San Francisco Bay Area
San Franciscans may be familiar with Think Escape's party buses that shuttle the late-night crowds to and from various city nightclubs, but the Cache Creek Casino Escape is a little-known gem among Bay Area destinations. With personal charter service on the luxurious Fantasy Limo Bus to Cache Creek Casino and Resort, the Cache Creek Casino Escape tour is a smart choice for San Franciscans looking for a little gaming fun or planning a large group activity