HIPAA Privacy Rule Compliance-Understanding New Rules and Responsibilities of Privacy Officer: One and half day In-Person Seminar
Jim Sheldon-Dean, Principal and Director of Compliance Services, Lewis Creek Systems, LLC
San Francisco, CA
| Thursday, February 23, 2017 | Friday, February 24, 2017
With the recent implementation of new HIPAA regulations in the HIPAA Omnibus Update of 2013, healthcare organizations are reviewing their compliance and making sure they have the proper policies, procedures, and forms in place. HIPAA Privacy Officers have been renewing their compliance activities and reviewing their documentation to make sure they can meet the challenges of the new rules and avoid breaches and penalties for compliance violations.
This session is designed to provide an intensive, one and a half-day training in HIPAA Privacy Rule compliance, covering:
- What’s new in the regulations
- What needs to change in your organization
- What needs to be addressed for compliance by covered entities and business associates
- What are the most important privacy issues
- What can happen when compliance is not adequate
This seminar will also explain audits and enforcement, and how privacy regulations relate to security and breach regulations, as well as responding to privacy and security breaches and ways to prevent them. Numerous references and sample documents will be provided.
- Understand the structure of the HIPAA Regulations and how they work together
- Learn what has changed in the rules based on the HIPAA Omnibus Update Rule
- Learn how Business Associates are now covered directly under the rules
- Discover what has to be modified to meet the new rules and how to interpret them
- Understand what are the rights individuals have about their health information
- Know what are the limitations on uses and disclosures by a healthcare entity
- Learn the updated rules on using health information for marketing and fundraising
- Find out how the rules impact the use of electronic health records
- Know how to use Risk Analysis to make compliance decisions about safeguards
- Know how to respond to breaches and violations of Privacy and Security rules
- Learn how to deal with the modern portable technologies and communication methods
- Understand how to use policies, documentation, training, and drills to prepare for audits and incidents, and achieve good compliance
Seminar Fee Includes:
USB with seminar presentation
Hard copy of presentation
$100 Gift Cert for next seminar
Who will Benefit
This seminar will provide valuable assistance to all personnel in medical offices, practice groups, hospitals, academic medical centers, insurers, business associates (shredding, data storage, systems vendors, billing services, etc.). The following personnel will find this session valuable:
- Compliance director
- Privacy Officer
- Security Officer
- Information Systems Manager
- HIPAA Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Health Information Manager
- Healthcare Counsel/lawyer
- Office Manager
- Contracts Manager
|Day One (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
||Day Two (8:30 AM – 12:30 PM)
Registration Process: 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM
Session Start Time: 9:00 AM
Day one sets the stage with an overview of the HIPAA regulations and then continues with presentation of the specifics of the Privacy Rule and recent changes to the rules, including the impacts of required changes in your practices to meet the new rules.
Overview of HIPAA Regulations
- The Origins and Purposes of HIPAA
- Privacy Rule History and Objectives
- Security Rule History and Objectives
- Breach Notification Requirements, Benefits, and Results
HIPAA Privacy Rule Principles, Policies and Procedures
- Patient Rights under HIPAA
- Limitations on Uses and Disclosures
- Required Policies and Procedures
- Training and Documentation Requirements
Recent Changes to the HIPAA Rules
- New Penalty Structure
- New HIPAA Audit Program
- New Patient Rights
- New Obligations for Business Associates
Implementing the New HIPAA Omnibus Rules
- Policies and Procedures for New Patient Rights
- Impact on Electronic Health Records
- Modifications to the Notice of Privacy Practices
- Business Associate Issues
Day two begins with a detailed examination of HIPAA Security Rule and Breach Notification requirements, including what you need to do to protect information and what you have to do if you don’t, and the day concludes with a session on the essential activities of documenting policies, procedures, and activities, training staff and managers in the issues and policies they need to know about, and examining compliance readiness through drills and self-audits.
HIPAA Security and Breach Notification Rule Principles
- How the Privacy, Security, and Breach Rules Work Together
- Security Safeguards and The Role of Risk Analysis
- Determining What Is a Breach and What Must Be Reported
- Incident Management and Breach Reporting
Documentation, Training, Drills and Self-Audits
- How to Organize and Use Documentation to Your Advantage
- Training Methods and Compliance Improvement
- Conducting Drills in Incident Response
- Using the HIPAA Audit Protocol for Documentation and Self-Auditing
Meet Your Instructor
Principal and Director of Compliance Services, Lewis Creek Systems, LLC
Jim Sheldon-Dean is the founder and director of compliance services at Lewis Creek Systems, LLC, a Vermont-based consulting firm founded in 1982, providing information privacy and security regulatory compliance services to a wide variety of health care entities.
Mr. Sheldon-Dean serves on the HIMSS Information Systems Security Workgroup, has co-chaired the Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange Privacy and Security Workgroup, and is a recipient of the WEDI 2011 Award of Merit. He is a frequent speaker regarding HIPAA and information privacy and security compliance issues at seminars and conferences, including speaking engagements at numerous regional and national healthcare association conferences and conventions and the annual NIST/OCR HIPAA Security Conference in Washington, D.C.
He has more than 30 years of experience in policy analysis and implementation, business process analysis, information systems and software development. His experience includes leading the development of health care related Web sites; award-winning, best-selling commercial utility software; and mission-critical, fault-tolerant communications satellite control systems. In addition, he has eight years of experience doing hands-on medical work as a Vermont certified volunteer emergency medical technician. He received his B.S. degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Vermont and his master’s degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "HIPAA Privacy Rule Compliance-Understanding New Rules and Responsibilities of Privacy Officer: One and half day In-Person Seminar".
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company) and mailed to:
2479 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send your team for maximum benefit.
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call toll free on +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please call us toll free on +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to Register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ email@example.com
Payment is required 2 days before the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company).
Cancellations and substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $75 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days before the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($75) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite, payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available, we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee, an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant 5 working days before the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference, you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to ComplianceOnline using these photos and videos for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline from any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
San Francisco, CA (Venue to be announced shortly)
February 23-24, 2017
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner To Do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the media partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the magazine and/or website.
- Dedicated email blast to media partner’s subscribers.
- Article on the magazine and/or website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Cruise Webster: email@example.com
call us: (207) 576-4173
Think Escape Party Bus
San Francisco Bay Area
Board a luxurious Think Escape party bus or limo and be whisked away to San Francisco's hottest nightclubs where VIP treatment brings all party bus guests to the front of the line. Planning the perfect night on the town is easy with Think Escape's fleet of luxury buses and extended vehicles, each with different amenities for socializing and transport. Think Escape's Bay Area party bus rentals include free entry into selected exclusive nightclubs, professional hostess and chauffer, in-vehicle coolers stocked with amenities for a perfect night of partying.
Alcatraz Lunch Cruise
The Alcatraz Lunch Cruise is a luxurious way to get to see some of San Francisco’s favorite sights. A gourmet lunch buffet features options like asiago Caesar salad, bay shrimp salad, roasted chicken, garlic-herb roasted new potatoes and more. While guests enjoy lunch, they can take in views of San Francisco Bay’s flora and fauna, Angel Island and Alcatraz, and a live narration explores the history of Alcatraz. Please note that this tour doesn’t stop on Alcatraz Island.
Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise
A relaxing way to explore the San Francisco Bay is with the Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise. A drink bar and snacks are available for travelers’ enjoyment as they travel under the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcatraz Island and even past a colony of sea lions. This is a peaceful San Francisco cruise option for families, and children under 5 ride for free.
City Kayak, located on San Francisco's Embarcadero close to the San Francisco Giant's ATT Park, offers a great way to experience San Francisco from Bay level, a point of view and a unique experience you'll not soon forget.
Think Escape Casino Tour
San Francisco Bay Area
San Franciscans may be familiar with Think Escape's party buses that shuttle the late-night crowds to and from various city nightclubs, but the Cache Creek Casino Escape is a little-known gem among Bay Area destinations. With personal charter service on the luxurious Fantasy Limo Bus to Cache Creek Casino and Resort, the Cache Creek Casino Escape tour is a smart choice for San Franciscans looking for a little gaming fun or planning a large group activity