Process Validation - Practical Solutions and Strategies for the Medical Device
Dr. Vinny Sastri
Coming soon.. Please contact customer care for new schedule
Of the 122 warning letters issued by the FDA in 2011, 42 or 34% of them contained citations with respect to improper or ineffective process validation. Due to the complexity of many medical devices, routine end-product testing alone is insufficient to assure the quality, safety and effectiveness of the device. It is important that the product acceptance criteria and specifications are quantified, and that the manufacturing processes are well characterized, understood, controlled and validated.
This two-day seminar will explain the intent and importance of process validation, the connectivity between design control and process validation and the key pre-requisites and steps in process validation including risk management. The hands-on training will also provide the participants the knowledge, systems, procedures and tools to implement and conduct effective process validations that are relevant to the organization’s products and processes and meet regulatory and compliance requirements. An interactive process validation exercise will be used to highlight the principles learned.
- Understanding the intent and purpose of process validation.
- Understanding the relationship between design controls and process validation.
- Learning the difference between verification and validation.
- Identifying critical process and raw material parameters.
- Developing and executing protocols for an Installation Qualification (IQ) , Operational Qualification (OQ) and Performance Qualification (PQ).
- Validating manual processes.
- Understanding how to use sampling plans and determine sample sizes for process validation.
- Populating a Device Master Record (DMR) from Process Validation.
- Understanding the relationship between purchasing controls and process validation.
- Understanding the relationship between risk management and process validation.
- Maintaining a validated state including process monitoring.
Who will Benefit:
- Operation and manufacturing managers and engineers
- Quality Control
- Quality Assurance
- Project Managers
- Product design and development managers and engineers
- Contract Manufacturers
- Suppliers to the Medical Device Industry
|Day One (8:00 AM – 4:00 PM)
||Day Two (8:30 AM – 4:00 PM)
- Introduction (15 min)
- Quality Systems Regulation (21 CFR Part 820) and Standards (ISO 13485) for medical devices overview and intent (60 min)
- Key terminology
- FDA Inspections and Quality System Inspection Technique for Production and Process Controls
- Warning Letters and FDA 483’s data review
- Process Validation Guidance documents
- Process validation prerequisites (60 min)
- Manufacturing work instructions
- Environmental Control
- Facilities and Utilities control
- Equipment installation, maintenance and calibration
- Inspection, Measuring and Test Equipment
- Test Method Validation; Measurement Systems Analysis
- Statistical techniques, basic statistics and quality metrics calculations (60 min)
- Basic statistics overview
- Risk analysis and sampling plans
- How to determine and use sampling plans
- Sampling Plan Exercise
- Validation Master Plans (30 min)
- Verification versus Validation (30 min)
- Process development / Engineering studies - Design Controls (45 min)
- Determining essential outputs
- Determining critical process parameters
- Determining critical raw material / component characteristics
- Case study / exercise – determining the critical parameters for the process validation break-out
- Installation qualification – IQ (60 min)
- Definition of an IQ
- Elements of an IQ
- Review of an IQ Protocol and Report Template
- Exercise – Conducting an IQ
- Operational qualification – OQ (30 min)
- Definition of an OQ
- Elements of an OQ
- Review of an OQ Protocol and Report Template
- Performance qualification – PQ (30 min)
- Definition of a PQ
- Elements of a PQ
- Review of a PQ Protocol and Report Template
- Validating manual processes (15 min)
- Breakout Exercise – Conducting and analyzing an OQ and PQ (150 min)
- Automated Processes and Software validation overview (30 min)
- Outputs from Process Validation (60 min)
- Product characteristics and specifications
- Process and raw material parameters
- Process controls / control limits; process monitoring - SPC and SQC; calculating process and product capability
- Purchasing Controls and Supplier Controls (including process validation requirements)
- Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
- Exercise – Determining process monitoring, calculating process and product capability, determining raw material requirements and specifications
- The validation life-cycle and revalidation (30 min)
- Concept of validation life-cycle
- Criteria for revalidation
- Exercise on revalidation
- Documentation (15 min)
- Documents required for the Design History File (DHF)
- Documents required for the Device Mater Record (DMR)
- Documents required for the Device History Record (DHR)
- Conclusion and wrap-up (15 min)
Meet Your Instructor
President, WINOVIA® LLC
Dr. Vinny Sastri is the president of WINOVIA® LLC, a company that provides customized solutions, strategies, and implementation of effective product life cycle management and quality management processes. He has over 25 years of experience in quality, product development and manufacturing. Areas of expertise include product design and development, design controls, process validation, FDA and ISO quality systems for medical devices and pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, risk management, CAPA, and plastics and materials. Dr. is a certified Six Sigma black belt and is also on the faculty of the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) that provides training on the FDA Quality Systems Regulation and Industry Practice to the medical device industry. Dr. Sastri’s book "Plastics in Medical Devices: Properties, Requirements and Applications" was released on April 1st, 2010 by Elsevier, London.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "Process Validation - Practical Solutions and Strategies for the Medical Device".
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company) and mailed to:
2479 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send your team for maximum benefit.
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call toll free on +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please call us toll free on +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your Registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment is required before 2 days of the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. ( our parent company)
Cancellations and Substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $200 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days from the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($200) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and Documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant before 5 working days from the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to use these photos and videos by ComplianceOnline for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline for any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
Vinny did a great job expanding on the topics using examples in class. All topics were useful for me. ComplianceOnline chose a great location for its seminar.
- Director of Operation, Minerva Surgical, Inc
Speaker was very knowledgeable. All topics were relevant to me. Discussion on engineering studies to determine critical parameters for the process validation break-out was very useful.
- Staff Scientist, Abaxis
Great Job by Vinny. Glad I Participate. All topics were valuable to me. Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA), Installation qualification – IQ, Operational qualification – OQ and Performance qualification – PQ were most useful.
- Sr. Manufacturing Engineer, Minerva Surgical, Inc.
Subject matter was well chosen. Process validation topic was most valuable; understood what my company needs to do to get on board to proper process validation techniques. Got good information from other attendees.
- Manufacturing Engineer, Varian Medical Systems.
The speaker was very knowledgeable. Relationship between design requirements and critical process parameters were very informative. It was relevant to recent audit findings.
- Manufacturing Engineering Section Leader, ResMed
The presenter was excellent. Very topical content and good offline discussion. I was able to answer a lot of my open questions. ComplianceOnline chose great venue for its seminar.
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager, ResMed
Great information was presented and taught. It was easily understood with good discussions.
- Manufacturing Engineer, Varian Medical Systems
It was good seminar. All areas covered were relevant to my company. The interaction between speaker and attendees was good.
- Principal Product Engineer, MID Labs Inc.
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: email@example.com
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media Partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner to do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the Media Partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the Magazine and/or Website.
- Dedicated email blast to all subscribers of Media Partner.
- Article on the Magazine and/or Website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Cruise Webster: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: (207) 576-4173
Think Escape Party Bus
San Francisco Bay Area
Board a luxurious Think Escape party bus or limo and be whisked away to San Francisco's hottest nightclubs where VIP treatment brings all party bus guests to the front of the line. Planning the perfect night on the town is easy with Think Escape's fleet of luxury buses and extended vehicles, each with different amenities for socializing and transport. Think Escape's Bay Area party bus rentals include free entry into selected exclusive nightclubs, professional hostess and chauffer, in-vehicle coolers stocked with amenities for a perfect night of partying.
Alcatraz Lunch Cruise
The Alcatraz Lunch Cruise is a luxurious way to get to see some of San Francisco’s favorite sights. A gourmet lunch buffet features options like asiago Caesar salad, bay shrimp salad, roasted chicken, garlic-herb roasted new potatoes and more. While guests enjoy lunch, they can take in views of San Francisco Bay’s flora and fauna, Angel Island and Alcatraz, and a live narration explores the history of Alcatraz. Please note that this tour doesn’t stop on Alcatraz Island.
Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise
A relaxing way to explore the San Francisco Bay is with the Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise. A drink bar and snacks are available for travelers’ enjoyment as they travel under the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcatraz Island and even past a colony of sea lions. This is a peaceful San Francisco cruise option for families, and children under 5 ride for free.
City Kayak, located on San Francisco's Embarcadero close to the San Francisco Giant's ATT Park, offers a great way to experience San Francisco from Bay level, a point of view and a unique experience you'll not soon forget.
Think Escape Casino Tour
San Francisco Bay Area
San Franciscans may be familiar with Think Escape's party buses that shuttle the late-night crowds to and from various city nightclubs, but the Cache Creek Casino Escape is a little-known gem among Bay Area destinations. With personal charter service on the luxurious Fantasy Limo Bus to Cache Creek Casino and Resort, the Cache Creek Casino Escape tour is a smart choice for San Franciscans looking for a little gaming fun or planning a large group activity