Sales and Use Tax - Compliance and Best Practices
Miles Hutchinson, CGMA, President of Sales Tax Advisors, Inc.
Coming soon.. Please contact customer care for new schedule
||"Sales and Use Tax - Compliance and Best Practices" - This course is approved by NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy). Seminar attendees are eligible for 16.8 CPE credits upon completion of this workshop.
Sales and Use Tax Compliance is among the most challenging areas for Accounts Payable professionals to master. Currently, 45 states and the District of Columbia levy a sales and use tax. Five states do not, but individual counties within those states may. In addition, Congress is currently considering legislation that would create a National Internet Sales Tax.
This 2-day seminar will cover compliance and best practices regarding Sales and Use Tax in detail. The history of the sales tax, and its constitutional requirements, will be covered. "Nexus", meaning a company's legal requirement to register and comply with a given State's sales tax code, will be examined with a case study. The Use Tax will be covered, along with the various cost bases used to calculate it. Sales tax compliance averages around 80% nationwide, while Use tax compliance only averages about 20%. This seminar will explain why.
We will also cover how to recover an overpayment of sales and use tax, and how your company can minimize (or even eliminate) paying use tax to multiple states. We will examine how to handle a sales and use tax audit, as well as your company's rights if you are found to be in deficiency. Finally, you will be provided with two resources that will greatly assist you compliance efforts, and be taught how to most effectively use them. If Sales and Use Tax compliance is a source of frustration for you, this is a seminar you won't want to miss!
- Learn how to make sense of complicated Sales and use Tax legislation
- Learn how to recognize when "nexus" might exist and how to register with a given state
- Learn how to properly calculate your Use Tax liability….without overpaying
- Learn how to survive a Sales and Use Tax audit, and how to use Judicial Review if you assessed a deficiency balance
- Learn more about the proposed Marketplace Fairness Act of 2015, and the implication for your company
- Learn about resources that will help make your company's compliance much easier
Seminar Fee Includes:
USB with seminar presentation
Hard copy of presentation
$100 Gift Cert for next seminar
- Full understanding of the origin of the Sales and Use Tax and constitutional requirements for it to be legal
- Full understanding of "nexus" and how to determine if your company should register in a given state
- Comprehensive analysis of the Use Tax, including various cost bases and reciprocal agreements between states
- Comprehensive analysis of the Sales and Use Tax audit….and how to survive one!
Topics covered include:
- History/Legal Requirements for Sales and Use Tax
- Use Tax and Cost Bases
- Marketplace Fairness Act of 2015
- Sales and Use Tax Audits
- Judicial Review
- Streamlined Sales Tax Agreement
- Multi-State Tax Commission
- Sales and Use Tax Decision-making Flowchart
Who will Benefit:
- Financial Officers
- Tax Mangers
- Purchasing Managers
- Risk Officers
- Internal Auditors
- Office Managers
- Staff with roles and responsibilities in purchasing, accounts payable, sales order taking, tax and accounting.
We are registered with and adhere to the Statement on Standards for Continuing Professional Education programs of the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. Our registration number is 109066. Please check with the governing body of your license and state for specific CPE requirements. Grievances may be forwarded to the company at 650 620 3961. Grievances may also be forwarded to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors-NASBA, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417, 615-880-4200, www.learningmarket.org, e-mail email@example.com.
Field of Study:
- Regulatory Ethics: 0.6 CPE Credits
- Taxes: 16.2 CPE Credits
- Total CPE credits earned in this workshop: 16.8 CPE Credits
Program Delivery Method: Group-Live
Program Level: Intermediate
Advance Preparation/Program Prerequisites: None
|DAY ONE (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
||DAY TWO (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
Registration Process: 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM
Session Start Time: 9:00 AM
- Introduction to Sales and Use Tax
- Origin and History
- Regulatory Framework
- Definition and Examples
- Case Study
- Marketplace Fairness Act of 2015 and Potential Implications
- When Does a Buyer Become an Owner? Why Does it Matter?
- FOB Origin
- FOB Destination
- “Strategic” Warehousing
- Saving Money on County Sales Tax
- Case Study Two – Legal Avoidance of the Sales Tax within the Commercial Sector
- The Use Tax and Cost Bases
- Be in Compliance….But Don’t Overpay!
- You’ve Overpaid….Now What?
- 3 Ways to Recover an Overpayment….and The One You Should Avoid Using
- Amend, Amend, Amend
- Reciprocal Agreements – Getting Money Back You Never Knew You Were Entitled To
- The Sales and Use Tax Audit
- Strategic Audit Techniques – You are in Control!
- Deficiency Assessments
- Judicial Review – Your Day in Court!
- The Streamlined Sales Tax Agreement
- Uniform Product/Service Definitions
- Rate/Boundary Database
- Sales Tax Exemptions – You May Be Costing Your Company Money If You Don’t Know These!
- Multi-State Tax Commission
- Nexus Determinations
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Joint Audit Program
- Judicial Review
- Notice of Deficiency
- Right to Appeal
- Administrative law Judge Hearing
- Fines/Penalties for Sales Tax Non-Compliance
- The Golden Rule of Sales and Use Tax
- Overpayment and Underpayment Risk – Managing and Minimizing It
- Sales and Use Tax Decision-Making Flowchart
- Examples and Comprehensive Case Study.
Meet Your Instructor
CGMA, President of Sales Tax Advisors, Inc.
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA, and experienced businessman. He has been an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Chief Financial Officer of a $1 billion real estate development company. Miles is a professional speaker and consultant who has presented over 2,000 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, like financial analysis and modeling, accounting, strategic planning, and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. He is recognized as an expert in payroll and sales & use tax as well as financial modeling & analysis, business strategy and communications.
He is the author of several useful accounting and tax tools. His clients include Abbott Labs, Bank of America, Boston Scientific, Citicorp, Corning, the FBI, the FDA, the Federal Reserve, GE, Pfizer, Siemens, US Marine Corps, and the US Army.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "Sales and Use Tax - Compliance and Best Practices".
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company) and mailed to:
2479 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send your team for maximum benefit.
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call toll free on +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please call us toll free on +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to Register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment is required 2 days before the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company).
Cancellations and substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $200 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days before the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($200) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite, payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available, we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee, an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant 5 working days before the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference, you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to ComplianceOnline using these photos and videos for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline from any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: email@example.com
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media Partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner to do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the Media Partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the Magazine and/or Website.
- Dedicated email blast to all subscribers of Media Partner.
- Article on the Magazine and/or Website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Cruise Webster: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: (207) 576-4173
Think Escape Party Bus
San Francisco Bay Area
Board a luxurious Think Escape party bus or limo and be whisked away to San Francisco's hottest nightclubs where VIP treatment brings all party bus guests to the front of the line. Planning the perfect night on the town is easy with Think Escape's fleet of luxury buses and extended vehicles, each with different amenities for socializing and transport. Think Escape's Bay Area party bus rentals include free entry into selected exclusive nightclubs, professional hostess and chauffer, in-vehicle coolers stocked with amenities for a perfect night of partying.
Alcatraz Lunch Cruise
The Alcatraz Lunch Cruise is a luxurious way to get to see some of San Francisco’s favorite sights. A gourmet lunch buffet features options like asiago Caesar salad, bay shrimp salad, roasted chicken, garlic-herb roasted new potatoes and more. While guests enjoy lunch, they can take in views of San Francisco Bay’s flora and fauna, Angel Island and Alcatraz, and a live narration explores the history of Alcatraz. Please note that this tour doesn’t stop on Alcatraz Island.
Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise
A relaxing way to explore the San Francisco Bay is with the Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise. A drink bar and snacks are available for travelers’ enjoyment as they travel under the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcatraz Island and even past a colony of sea lions. This is a peaceful San Francisco cruise option for families, and children under 5 ride for free.
City Kayak, located on San Francisco's Embarcadero close to the San Francisco Giant's ATT Park, offers a great way to experience San Francisco from Bay level, a point of view and a unique experience you'll not soon forget.
Think Escape Casino Tour
San Francisco Bay Area
San Franciscans may be familiar with Think Escape's party buses that shuttle the late-night crowds to and from various city nightclubs, but the Cache Creek Casino Escape is a little-known gem among Bay Area destinations. With personal charter service on the luxurious Fantasy Limo Bus to Cache Creek Casino and Resort, the Cache Creek Casino Escape tour is a smart choice for San Franciscans looking for a little gaming fun or planning a large group activity