Supplier Management for Medical Device Manufacturers: 2-day In-person Seminar
Dan O'Leary, President at Ombu Enterprises, LLC
San Francisco, CA
| Thursday, November 10, 2016 | Friday, November 11, 2016
Supplier selection and management is one of the critical issues for medical device manufacturers. Suppliers provide components to the device manufacturer, which means that they are critical to performance and delivery. Neither the FDA nor your notified body regulates your suppliers (with a few exceptions). They expect you to have an effective process to ensure your suppliers perform in the regulatory environment.
- How well do you understand the requirements for supplier management?
- Could you pass a regulatory audit or inspection without any issues?
This course delivers the tools, templates, and methods to help participants implement an effective and efficient supplier management program.
This two-day hands-on course provides a clear understanding of the underlying principles of supplier management. The course uses exercises to solidify understanding. In addition, the course uses FDA Warning Letters to illustrate the points and help you learn from others. As part of the practical implementation, the course includes receiving acceptance activities, outsourced processes, process validation at the supplier’s location, supplier auditing techniques, and supplier issues in management review.
The course uses the Global Harmonization Task Force (GHTF) framework, but expands it to cover other issues and techniques important in effective implementation.
In addition to the discussion material, the course includes multiple exercises, guidance documents, and templates/tools to help you implement an effective program.
Upon course completion, participants will:
- Understand FDA QSR and ISO 13485 requirements for supplier management
- Understand the FDA’s multi-tier supplier classification system
- Understand when suppliers have to register and list with the FDA
- Use an analysis matrix and radar chart to compare suppliers
- Explain the link between design control and purchasing data
- Develop an overall supplier management plan
- Understand how to develop and implement supplier controls
- Create receiving inspection criteria and apply them as part of supplier controls
- Create supplier measurement and monitoring systems
- Create a system for supplier business risk
- Create a system for supplier regulatory risk
- Create a risk based system for supplier audits
- Develop a supplier audit using the backward trace process approach
Seminar Fee Includes:
USB with seminar presentation
Hard copy of presentation
$100 Gift Cert for next seminar
Who will Benefit:
- Quality Managers
- Supply Chain Managers
- Quality Engineers
- Supplier Quality Engineers
- Purchasing Professionals
- Regulatory Specialists
- Production and Process Engineers
- Design and Development Engineers
- Verification and Validation Specialists
|Day One (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
||Day Two (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
Registration Process: 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM
Session Start Time: 9:00 AM
- Part A – Regulatory Requirements
Part B – Planning for Supplier Management
- Supplier management in FDA QSR & ISO 13485:2003
- EU Medical Device Directive (MDD)
- Supplier Evaluation and Selection
- When suppliers have to register and list with FDA
- Outsourced processes
- Purchasing Data
- Acceptance activities
Part C – Planning for Supplier Selection
- Supplier management as a business process
- The business risk model
- The regulatory risk model
- The medical device risk model
Part D – Potential Suppliers
- Identifying what to procure
- Design control and purchasing data
- Identify risks (business, regulatory, and device)
- Identify controls (business, regulatory, and device)
- Special considerations
- Control numbers
- Conflict Minerals
- Identify potential suppliers
- Evaluative business capability
- Evaluate operational capability
- Using an analysis matrix and a radar chart
- Part E – Supplier Selection
Part F – Implementing Supplier Controls
- Sole source v. single source
- The directed procurement problem
- Selecting the supplier
- The Approved Supplier List
Part G – Monitoring, Measuring, and Evaluation
- Building the final control plan
- Receiving acceptance as a supplier control
- Developing hidden controls
- The supplier quality agreement
Part H – Feedback and Communication
- Standard supplier metrics
- Implementing predictive analysis
- Developing a supplier audit program
- Using the supplier’s QMS certificate
- The backward tracing process audit
- Supplier management as part of Management Review
Part I – Evaluating your program
- Supplier scorecards
- Corrective action requests
- Supplier management maturity models
- FDA’s QSIT
- GHTF guidance on auditing supplier control
- Case Study and exercise on maturity models
Meet Your Instructor
President at Ombu Enterprises, LLC
Daniel O'Leary has more than 30 years’ experience in quality, operations, and program management in regulated industries including aviation, defense, medical devices, and clinical labs. He has a Master’s Degree in Mathematics, focusing on logic and number theory. His professional experience relates to quality, regulatory, reliability, and operations management.
Mr. O'Leary is a regular speaker at international conferences including ASQ, ISM, and RAMS. He teaches courses in reliability methods, medical device regulations and practices, statistical methods, management systems (ISO 9001, FDA QSR, & ISO 13485), and project management. Mr. O'Leary is an ASQ certified biomedical auditor, quality auditor, quality engineer, reliability engineer, and Six Sigma black belt; he holds an APICS certification in resource management.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "Supplier Management for Medical Device Manufacturers: 2-day In-person Seminar".
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company) and mailed to:
2479 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send your team for maximum benefit.
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call toll free on +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please call us toll free on +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to Register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ email@example.com
Payment is required 2 days before the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company).
Cancellations and substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $300 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days before the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($300) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite, payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available, we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee, an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant 5 working days before the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference, you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to ComplianceOnline using these photos and videos for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline from any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
San Francisco, CA(Venue to be announced shortly)
November 10-11, 2016
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner To Do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the media partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the magazine and/or website.
- Dedicated email blast to media partner’s subscribers.
- Article on the magazine and/or website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Cruise Webster: email@example.com
call us: (207) 576-4173
Think Escape Party Bus
San Francisco Bay Area
Board a luxurious Think Escape party bus or limo and be whisked away to San Francisco's hottest nightclubs where VIP treatment brings all party bus guests to the front of the line. Planning the perfect night on the town is easy with Think Escape's fleet of luxury buses and extended vehicles, each with different amenities for socializing and transport. Think Escape's Bay Area party bus rentals include free entry into selected exclusive nightclubs, professional hostess and chauffer, in-vehicle coolers stocked with amenities for a perfect night of partying.
Alcatraz Lunch Cruise
The Alcatraz Lunch Cruise is a luxurious way to get to see some of San Francisco’s favorite sights. A gourmet lunch buffet features options like asiago Caesar salad, bay shrimp salad, roasted chicken, garlic-herb roasted new potatoes and more. While guests enjoy lunch, they can take in views of San Francisco Bay’s flora and fauna, Angel Island and Alcatraz, and a live narration explores the history of Alcatraz. Please note that this tour doesn’t stop on Alcatraz Island.
Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise
A relaxing way to explore the San Francisco Bay is with the Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise. A drink bar and snacks are available for travelers’ enjoyment as they travel under the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcatraz Island and even past a colony of sea lions. This is a peaceful San Francisco cruise option for families, and children under 5 ride for free.
City Kayak, located on San Francisco's Embarcadero close to the San Francisco Giant's ATT Park, offers a great way to experience San Francisco from Bay level, a point of view and a unique experience you'll not soon forget.
Think Escape Casino Tour
San Francisco Bay Area
San Franciscans may be familiar with Think Escape's party buses that shuttle the late-night crowds to and from various city nightclubs, but the Cache Creek Casino Escape is a little-known gem among Bay Area destinations. With personal charter service on the luxurious Fantasy Limo Bus to Cache Creek Casino and Resort, the Cache Creek Casino Escape tour is a smart choice for San Franciscans looking for a little gaming fun or planning a large group activity