The Job of the Corporate Controller in Today's Environment
Miles Hutchinson, CGMA, President of Sales Tax Advisors, Inc.
Coming soon.. Please contact customer care for new schedule
||"The Job of the Corporate Controller in Today's Environment" - This course is approved by NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy). Seminar attendees are eligible for 16.2 CPE credits upon completion of this workshop.
Prepare yourself to take on the role of the Corporate Controller. Your career path offers you the opportunity to step into this position, but it comes with risks. Do you really know what it takes to move up to this highly visible leadership role? Invest in your future and join us to learn exactly what it takes to successfully transition into this key position. Identify the necessary core competencies of the role and become more self-assured as you work to properly define this role for you and your company. This is A practical seminar designed for financial professionals on the fast track to top management.
Who Will Benefit:
- Corporate, divisional and plant controllers
- Assistant controllers; chief accountants; budget directors
- Finance and accounting managers; financial analysts; accountants
- Auditors who need to understand the corporate accounting cycle to audit effectively
Seminar Fee Includes:
USB with seminar presentation
Hard copy of presentation
$100 Gift Cert for next seminar
We are registered with and adhere to the Statement on Standards for Continuing Professional Education programs of the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. Our registration number is 109066. Please check with the governing body of your license and state for specific CPE requirements. Grievances may be forwarded to the company at 650 620 3961. Grievances may also be forwarded to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors-NASBA, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417, 615-880-4200, www.learningmarket.org, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Field of Study:
- Auditing: 0.6 CPE Credits
- Behavioral Ethics: 1.2 CPE Credits
- Business Management & Organization: 2.4 CPE Credits
- Communications: 1.2 CPE Credits
- Computer Science: 3.6 CPE Credits
- Finance: 1.8 CPE Credits
- Personal Development: 1.2 CPE Credits
- Personnel/HR: 1.2 CPE Credits
- Specialized Knowledge and Applications: 1.2 CPE Credits
- Taxes: 1.8 CPE Credits
- Total CPE credits earned in this workshop: 16.2 CPE Credits
Program Delivery Method: Group-Live
Program Level: Intermediate
Advance Preparation/Program Prerequisites: None
|Day One (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
||Day Two (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
- Overview of the Controller’s Job
- Get clarity on the meaning of “Controller” and “Controllership”
- Define the Three Primary Functions of the Controller
- Understand the Controller’s Role in Strategic & Operational Planning
- Understanding the Stakeholders you are accountable to
- Additional Controller Functions – managing these tangential responsibilities effectively
- Compare and contrast the Finance Function v. the Accounting Function
- The Diverse Organizational Views of the Controller
- Controllership, CFO & Financial V.P. and how they relate to each other
- The Controller’s Role in Modern Business Management
- Leadership and the Controller’s Path to Top Management
- Characteristics and Qualifications of Successful Controllers
- Understanding & Using the Power of the Controllership Function
- The Controller as Manager
- Developing Effective and Loyal Staff
- Effective Interaction with your Boss
- Perfecting your Communication Skills
- Improving your Time Management
- Tips for Leading Meetings
- Selling your Ideas to Upper Management
- Technical Aspects of the Controller Function
- Your Planning and Forecasting Role
- Planning the Budgets - Determine the Essential Elements and associated risks to achievement
- Decisions are difficult to reverse – making the most of your forecasting tools and skills
- Budgeting Revenues and Profits - evaluating historical data, economic indicators and the competition
- Assessing impacts of the Budget Plan on Cash Management
- Economic Value AddedTM – a powerful and telling metric
- Applying EVATM to Capital Expenditure Forecasting and Analysis
- Review of important ExcelTM forecasting tools:
- Goal Seek
- Scroll Bars
- Data Tables
- Scenario Manager
- Pivot Tables
- Bivariate and Multivariate Regression
- Flexible budgeting
- Accounting & Reporting Aspects of the Controller’s Role
- The Corporate Accounting Cycle - historical reporting, dashboard reporting, and strategic planning/budgeting
- The range of reporting opportunities afforded the Controller
- Your basket of tax reporting responsibilities
- Reporting Opportunities and Challenges
- Dashboard Reporting and Key Performance Indicators
- Handling Difficult Reports with Readers
- Technology & Automation for Increased Productivity
- Types of Management Information Systems
- Review your Accounting System Requirements - are you crippled with legacy systems?
- In-House System Development
- Key Questions to Consider when Purchasing an Integrated Software Package
- Establishing an Information Resource Center
- Control Parameters and Security
- Regulatory Compliance & Risk Management for the Controller
- Entering new states to do business – the registration process
- Regulatory & Income Tax Audits – best practices for managing the them and the auditors
- Coordination with Outside Accountants & Auditors SEC & Sarbanes-Oxley
- Independent Contractor v. Employee
- Compensable Travel Time
- Withholding & W-2s
- Independent Contractor Reporting: W-9 & 1099
- Non-Resident Alien Reporting: W-8 & 1042-S
- Sales & Use Tax Issues
- New Hire Reporting
- Backup Withholding
- Risk Management
- A best practices approach to regulatory audits
- Your role as financial auditor liaison
- Future Trends of the Controller Role
- The Controller as Value-Added Business Partner
- The Controller’s Role in and IPO
Meet Your Instructor
CGMA, President of Sales Tax Advisors, Inc.
Miles Hutchinson is a CGMA, and experienced businessman. He has been an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and the Chief Financial Officer of a $1 billion real estate development company. Miles is a professional speaker and consultant who has presented over 2,000 seminars and training sessions on a myriad of business and financial topics, like financial analysis and modeling, accounting, strategic planning, and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. He is recognized as an expert in payroll and sales & use tax as well as financial modeling & analysis, business strategy and communications.
He is the author of several useful accounting and tax tools. His clients include Abbott Labs, Bank of America, Boston Scientific, Citicorp, Corning, the FBI, the FDA, the Federal Reserve, GE, Pfizer, Siemens, US Marine Corps, and the US Army.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "The Job of the Corporate Controller in Today's Environment".
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company) and mailed to:
2479 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send your team for maximum benefit.
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call toll free on +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please call us toll free on +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to Register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ email@example.com
Payment is required 2 days before the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company).
Cancellations and substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $200 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days before the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($200) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite, payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available, we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee, an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant 5 working days before the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference, you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to ComplianceOnline using these photos and videos for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline from any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media Partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner to do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the Media Partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the Magazine and/or Website.
- Dedicated email blast to all subscribers of Media Partner.
- Article on the Magazine and/or Website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Cruise Webster: email@example.com
call us: (207) 576-4173
Think Escape Party Bus
San Francisco Bay Area
Board a luxurious Think Escape party bus or limo and be whisked away to San Francisco's hottest nightclubs where VIP treatment brings all party bus guests to the front of the line. Planning the perfect night on the town is easy with Think Escape's fleet of luxury buses and extended vehicles, each with different amenities for socializing and transport. Think Escape's Bay Area party bus rentals include free entry into selected exclusive nightclubs, professional hostess and chauffer, in-vehicle coolers stocked with amenities for a perfect night of partying.
Alcatraz Lunch Cruise
The Alcatraz Lunch Cruise is a luxurious way to get to see some of San Francisco’s favorite sights. A gourmet lunch buffet features options like asiago Caesar salad, bay shrimp salad, roasted chicken, garlic-herb roasted new potatoes and more. While guests enjoy lunch, they can take in views of San Francisco Bay’s flora and fauna, Angel Island and Alcatraz, and a live narration explores the history of Alcatraz. Please note that this tour doesn’t stop on Alcatraz Island.
Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise
A relaxing way to explore the San Francisco Bay is with the Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise. A drink bar and snacks are available for travelers’ enjoyment as they travel under the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcatraz Island and even past a colony of sea lions. This is a peaceful San Francisco cruise option for families, and children under 5 ride for free.
City Kayak, located on San Francisco's Embarcadero close to the San Francisco Giant's ATT Park, offers a great way to experience San Francisco from Bay level, a point of view and a unique experience you'll not soon forget.
Think Escape Casino Tour
San Francisco Bay Area
San Franciscans may be familiar with Think Escape's party buses that shuttle the late-night crowds to and from various city nightclubs, but the Cache Creek Casino Escape is a little-known gem among Bay Area destinations. With personal charter service on the luxurious Fantasy Limo Bus to Cache Creek Casino and Resort, the Cache Creek Casino Escape tour is a smart choice for San Franciscans looking for a little gaming fun or planning a large group activity