Deviation Investigation Best Practices - Ensuring Correct Content and Conclusions
Andrew Campbell, Pharmaceutical Consultant - Quality & Compliance
Coming soon.. Please contact customer care for new schedule
One of the most common FDA 483 and Warning Letter citations is for inadequate deviation investigations. As FDA continues to cite inadequate investigations, it is critically important to conduct investigations to determine what happened, why it happened, and what was done to prevent the issue from re-occurring. In order to meet these goals, investigators must employ critical thinking skills for investigations.
This seminar will help personnel involved in deviation investigations to understand and successfully apply fundamental deviation investigation steps and best practices. The key areas of focus will include:
- Product containment / impact considerations
- Fact / evidence gathering
- Deducing the correct root cause
A few primary takeaways from the course:
- This practical, how-to course will provide participants with skills they can immediately apply to investigations within their own organizations.
- Group exercises will allow participants to practice skill sets with feedback from the instructor.
- The seminar will conclude with participants conducting a complete mock deviation investigation, including authoring an investigation report.
On completing this course on FDA compliance, participants will be able to:
- Understand regulatory requirements and FDA expectations for deviation investigations, root cause, CAPAs, and effectiveness checks
- Understand the purpose of deviation investigations, root cause analysis, CAPAs, and effectiveness checks
- Identify what is / is not a deviation event requiring investigation
- Properly describe a deviation event
- Identify immediate containment actions
- Conduct an immediate impact assessment
- Develop a comprehensive deviation investigation outline
- Conduct objective, evidence-based investigations
- Utilize good evidence gathering and interview techniques
- Properly evaluate investigation findings
- Differentiate between isolated events and systemic issues
- Use root cause analysis tools to determine correct root cause
- Develop appropriate CAPAs / effectiveness checks
- Develop an investigation report
- Avoid pitfalls during the investigation process
Who Will Benefit :
This course is designed from a pharmaceutical manufacturing perspective; however, since the main focus is on techniques and practices, the course material may be equally applied to biologics and medical device environments. It will benefit:
- Deviation investigators
- Reviewers and approvers of deviation investigation reports (e.g. deptartment heads)
- Deviation system owners
- Production staff / management
- QA staff / management
- QC staff / management
- Regulatory affairs staff / management
In 2013, inadequate investigations were the second most common 483 citation. Deviation investigations receive detailed scrutiny during FDA inspections, and FDA uses investigation reports and trends to identify potential quality problems in all areas of the company. A single inadequate investigation may lead to significant negative events, including release of sub-standard product or product recall. A pattern of inadequate investigations may require costly and time-consuming system remediation efforts.
|Day One (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
||Day Two (8:30 AM – 4:30 PM)
Registration Process: 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM
Session Start Time: 9:00 AM
- Regulatory Requirements
- FDA Inspection Expectations / Warning Letter Examples
- Purpose of Deviation Investigations
- Deviation Investigation Process Model
- 5 Part Process Model
- Key Terms and Definitions
- Key Investigation Principles
- Process / System Knowledge
- Objective Facts / Evidence
- Avoiding Investigation Bias
- Team Investigations
- Identification of Deviations
- What is a Deviation / Deviation Types
- Identifying Deviations
- Describing Deviations
- Immediate Containment / Immediate Impact Assessment
- Immediate Containment Considerations
- Potentially Impacted Lots
- Immediate Impact Assessment Considerations
- Historical Trend Review
- Investigation Outline
- Background / Baseline Information
- To-Do List
- Investigative Pathways
- Source Documents / Physical Evidence
- Gathering Physical Evidence and Documents
- Interview Techniques and Role Play
- Evaluating Investigation Findings
- Physical Evidence, Documents, Interviews
- Isolated Events vs. Systemic Issues
- Determining Root Cause
- What is Root Cause / Root Cause Analysis
- Root Cause Analysis Tools
- Performing Root Cause Analysis
- Group Exercise - Fishbone Diagram
- Determining CAPAs
- Purpose of a CAPA
- Corrective vs. Preventive Actions
- Developing CAPAs
- Effectiveness Checks
- Group Exercise - CAPAs and Effectiveness Checks
- Final Investigation Report
- Purpose of an Investigation Report
- Key Investigation Report Elements
- Putting it All Together: A System Viewpoint
- Deviation Investigation Workshop
- Participant Teams to Conduct Mock Investigation and Determine Root Cause/CAPAs, Based on Case Studies Provided by Trainer
Meet Your Instructor
Pharmaceutical Consultant - Quality & Compliance
Andrew Campbell has 25 years of pharmaceutical quality assurance and quality systems experience in both industry and consulting roles. Mr. Campbell has worked in clinical supply and commercial manufacturing environments, and has experience with integrated manufacturing and contract manufacturing business models. He has extensive expertise in the areas of deviation - CAPA, change control, GMP auditing, GMP training, and regulatory inspection preparation and management.
Working with large and small companies, Mr. Campbell has successfully developed, remediated and implemented key quality systems. He is a skilled GMP auditor, and has audited multiple API, drug product, packaging, testing, and distribution facilities. He is an experienced GMP trainer, and has developed customized and interactive training presentations for many companies. He has also provided FDA inspection support for several clients, including readiness training, on-site assistance during inspections, and authoring written responses to inspectional observations. Prior to becoming a consultant in 2007, Mr. Campbell worked for Ligand Pharmaceuticals as director of quality systems.
Register by P.O. / Check
Yes, I want to attend "Deviation Investigation Best Practices - Ensuring Correct Content and Conclusions".
Click here to download P.O. form
If you are paying by check:
Checks should be payable to MetricStream Inc. (our parent company) and mailed to:
2479 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Send your team for maximum benefit.
Get your team up to speed!
Significant tuition discounts are available for teams of two or more from the same company. You must register at the same time and provide a single payment to take advantage of the discount.
||Get 10% off
|3 to 6 Attendees
||Get 20% off
|7 to 10 Attendees
||Get 25% off
||Get 30% off
Call toll free on +1-888-717-2436 if you have any queries.
Register by Wire Transfer
If you wish to pay by wire transfer, please call us toll free on +1-888-717-2436
Terms & Conditions to register for the Seminar/Conference/Event
Your Registration for the seminar is subject to following terms and conditions. If you need any clarification before registering for this seminar please call us @ +1-888-717-2436 or email us @ email@example.com
Payment is required before 2 days of the date of the conference. We accept American Express, Visa and MasterCard. Make checks payable to MetricStream Inc. ( our parent company)
Cancellations and Substitutions:
Written cancellations through fax or email (from the person who has registered for this conference) received at least 10 calendar days prior to the start date of the event will receive a refund — less a $200 administration fee. No cancellations will be accepted — nor refunds issued — within 10 calendar days from the start date of the event.
On request by email or fax (before the seminar) a credit for the amount paid minus administration fees ($200) will be transferred to any future ComplianceOnline event and a credit note will be issued.
Substitutions may be made at any time. No-shows will be charged the full amount.
We discourage onsite registrations, however if you wish to register onsite payment to happen through credit card immediately or check to be submitted onsite. Conference material will be given on the spot if it is available after distributing to other attendees. In case it is not available we will send the material after the conference is over.
In the event ComplianceOnline cancels the seminar, ComplianceOnline is not responsible for any airfare, hotel, other costs or losses incurred by registrants. Some topics and speakers may be subject to change without notice.
Attendance confirmation and Documents to carry to the seminar venue:
After we receive the payment from the registered attendee an electronic event pass will be sent to the email address associated with the registrant before 5 working days from the seminar date. Please bring the pass to the venue of the event.
Conference photograph / video:
By registering and attending ComplianceOnline conference you agree to have your photographs or videos taken at the conference venue and you do not have any objections to use these photos and videos by ComplianceOnline for marketing, archiving or any other conference related activities. You agree to release ComplianceOnline for any kind of claims arising out of copyright or privacy violations.
If you wish to partner with us for this event
contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
call us: +1-888-717-2436.
Media Partner Benefits
- Logo and company data on the event website.
- Logo on the conference material distributed during the conference.
- Media Partner’s brochure distributed along with conference material.
- Logo on all the mailings before and after the event.
- 10% discount to media partner's subscribers.
Media Partner to do
- Banner (min 728x90 or 468x60) on the Media Partner website.
- Insertion of the event in the event calendar, both printed and/or online.
- Announcement article of the conference on the Magazine and/or Website.
- Dedicated email blast to all subscribers of Media Partner.
- Article on the Magazine and/or Website after the conference.
If you wish to sponsor this event
contact Cruise Webster: email@example.com
call us: (207) 576-4173
Think Escape Party Bus
San Francisco Bay Area
Board a luxurious Think Escape party bus or limo and be whisked away to San Francisco's hottest nightclubs where VIP treatment brings all party bus guests to the front of the line. Planning the perfect night on the town is easy with Think Escape's fleet of luxury buses and extended vehicles, each with different amenities for socializing and transport. Think Escape's Bay Area party bus rentals include free entry into selected exclusive nightclubs, professional hostess and chauffer, in-vehicle coolers stocked with amenities for a perfect night of partying.
Alcatraz Lunch Cruise
The Alcatraz Lunch Cruise is a luxurious way to get to see some of San Francisco’s favorite sights. A gourmet lunch buffet features options like asiago Caesar salad, bay shrimp salad, roasted chicken, garlic-herb roasted new potatoes and more. While guests enjoy lunch, they can take in views of San Francisco Bay’s flora and fauna, Angel Island and Alcatraz, and a live narration explores the history of Alcatraz. Please note that this tour doesn’t stop on Alcatraz Island.
Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise
A relaxing way to explore the San Francisco Bay is with the Luxury Catamaran Sailing Cruise. A drink bar and snacks are available for travelers’ enjoyment as they travel under the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcatraz Island and even past a colony of sea lions. This is a peaceful San Francisco cruise option for families, and children under 5 ride for free.
City Kayak, located on San Francisco's Embarcadero close to the San Francisco Giant's ATT Park, offers a great way to experience San Francisco from Bay level, a point of view and a unique experience you'll not soon forget.
Think Escape Casino Tour
San Francisco Bay Area
San Franciscans may be familiar with Think Escape's party buses that shuttle the late-night crowds to and from various city nightclubs, but the Cache Creek Casino Escape is a little-known gem among Bay Area destinations. With personal charter service on the luxurious Fantasy Limo Bus to Cache Creek Casino and Resort, the Cache Creek Casino Escape tour is a smart choice for San Franciscans looking for a little gaming fun or planning a large group activity