EPA & DOT Initiative - First U.S Fuel Efficiency Standards Set For Heavy-Duty Vehicles

  • Date: November 03, 2010
  • Source: Admin
Webinar All Access Pass Subscription


The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) brought out the first national standards to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions as well as to improve fuel efficiency in buses and heavy-duty trucks starting from the model year 2014.
Currently, emissions from the heavy-duty sector (big pickups to 18-wheelers) constitute 20% of the country’s emissions. The new standards estimate emission reduction by 250 million metric tons (approximately) from the lifespan of vehicles produced within 5 years of the program’s commencement. It will also result in fuel savings of 500 million barrels of oil for these vehicles.
The standards set are proposed across three categories of heavy trucks: heavy-duty pickups and vans (target: 10% reduction), vocational vehicles (target: 10% reduction),, and combination tractors (semi trucks that usually pull trailers) (target: 20% reduction). There are economical benefits linked to this program’s technologies. In addition, improved air quality and enhanced energy security will be yielded. Engine transmission will be upgraded, tire rolling resistance decreased, and aerodynamics improved.
DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and EPA will provide a comment period 0f 60 days to the public for their comments on the proposal.
Emission standards
Emission standards are the prerequisites that set definite limits to the amount of pollutants that can be released into the environment. Frequent policy alternatives to emissions standards are technology standards (which mandate Standards generally regulate the emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx), sulfur oxides, particulate matter (PM) or soot, carbon monoxide (CO), or volatile hydrocarbons.
It is imperative today for countries across to world to set standards for different categories of vehicles. Global warming is an issue that is largely discussed across platforms. Vehicular emissions are just one of the contributors to this hazard.
Earlier in the year, the U.S and Canada finalized its first greenhouse gas emissions rules on automobiles and boosted fuel efficiency standards. The plan was to jointly impose these rules on the industry.
"By working together with industry and capitalizing on our capacity for innovation, we've developed a clean cars program that is a win for automakers and drivers, a win for innovators and entrepreneurs, and a win for our planet," said Lisa Jackson, the administrator of the EPA, which finalized the rules with the Department of Transportation.


Best Sellers
You Recently Viewed